Brymbo Steel is a former works in the village of Brymbo near Wrexham in North Wales. It began as an ironworks in the late 1700’s and became a steelworks around a century later with the advancements of the industrial revolution, and is significant on account of its founder, having one of a modest number of surviving blast furnace stacks. The works was founded by John 'Iron Mad' Wilkinson who built a blast furnace on the site in 1793, just after he bought Brymbo Hall. He pioneered the manufacture of cast iron during the Industrial Revolution and he also invented a precision boring machine used to make cast iron cylinders, such as those used in steam engines. After Wilkinson's death, his estate was contested between his natural children and legitimate heirs and the works passed through various hands. By 1841, it passed to the Brymbo Iron Co, and with the production of steel the business was incorporated as Brymbo Steel Co. Ltd. It was nationalised with the rest of the steel industry in 1967, becoming a division of British Steel Corporation. The works were served by the Wrexham and Minera Branch of the Great Western Railway, later of British Railways, and the steelworks lasted until 1990 when it was closed for good. At its peak in the early 1900s the sprawling site employed about 2,500 people, but by 1990 this has vastly reduced and 1,100 jobs were lost, still managing to send Brymbo village into a depression and sending many residents into the negative equity trap.