The lobby. An office and entrance facilities would have been here as it was the only part of the morgue without any clinical purpose. Building of the hospital at Maiden Law commenced in 1939, although due to the outbreak of WW2 it took until 1945 to be completed. It's official title upon opening was an Infection Diseases Hospital. The introduction of the NHS only a couple of years later allowed the services to be widely available to those in need, and its duties became more diverse. The original smallpox hospital on the opposite side of the road was then converted into a factory, but burnt down in the 1950's leaving no trace behind with very few surviving records.