The scrounged remains of the central fuselage behind the cockpit of an Avro Shackleton. Developed in response to the post-war expansion of the Soviet navy, of the 185 that were built since the late 1940's only one airborne example now survives. This particular model drew the short straw and has slowly been stripped for parts to help restore other models on display in museums across the world. The aircraft were used primarily in anti-submarine warfare and maritime patrol aircraft roles, and occasionally as an aerial search and rescue platform. This section would have been the most integral part of the Shackleton's operation - on the left would once have been state of the art radar equipment with two men manning the devices, and on the right would have been two navigators alongside the sonobuoy operator who was responsible for the expendable sonar system that was dropped/ejected from aircraft whilst conducting anti-submarine warfare or underwater acoustic research.
It was replaced by jet powered alternatives during the peak of the cold war and its numbers have slowly diminished ever since, along with the Avro brand itself that now only exists in memory. Soon this whole airfield is set to be new housing, leaving this battered old girl with an uncertain future.